Emulsifying Ointment is a moisturiser that helps to prevent skin from drying out and help to manage dry skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis.
Emulsifying Ointment BP
This ointment is a moisturiser that will help to prevent your skin from drying out, and can also help to treat severe cases of dry skin including Eczema and Dermatitis.
How Does Emulsifying Ointment BP Works?
Each tub contains a mixture of paraffin oils and wax which stops water from evaporating from the skin’s surface, the main cause of dry skin.
Dry Skin occurs when the outer layer of skin cells do not retain as much water as they should do, effectively allowing the skin to become dehydrated. When this happens, the skin becomes cracked and flaky, and can sometimes cause itchiness, an uncomfortable and sometimes consuming side effect. The likelihood of suffering from dry skin is made worse from excessive washing and bathing as this removes the layer of natural oils that are found on the skin’s surface.
Once you have started to use this product regularly, you should start to see your skin become smoother, softer and more flexible due to the increase in moisture that your skin will be retaining.
How to use Emulsifying Ointment BP:
Apply frequently to prevent the skin from drying out.
This ointment can also be used in place of soap when washing and bathing to avoid the skin from drying out.
Warnings before using Emulsifying Ointment BP:
- Emulsifying Ointment should not be used if you have a known sensitivity or allergy to any ingredient. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
- There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used by pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.
- Keep away from potential sources of fire, such as lit cigarettes or gas or electric fires or stoves when using this ointment. Paraffin is highly flammable and dressings, bandages, clothing, bed linen, towels or other fabrics that have been in contact with this ointment can be easily ignited by a naked flame or cigarette, particularly if large amounts of the ointment have been used, or the fabric or dressing have become soaked with the ointment.
- You should not smoke or use naked flames while this ointment is in contact with your clothes, dressing or bandages.
- You should regularly (preferably daily) change bedding and clothing that has become impregnated with the ointment.
- You should also be careful to make sure that the paraffin does not soak into chairs, seating or other furniture because of the potential fire hazard.
Side Effects from using Emulsifying Ointment BP:
- Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. Just because a side effect is stated here does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Emulsifying wax (which contains sodium lauryl sulphate and cetostearyl alcohol) may cause local skin reactions (e.g. stinging, burning, itching, redness and contact dermatitis) in people hypersensitive to any of the ingredients, particularly in children with atopic eczema.
- Emulsifying ointment may exacerbate acne and/or folliculitis.
- This ointment does not affect ability to drive or use machines.
- For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Emulsifying Ointment BP contains:
Emulsifying wax 30%, white soft paraffin 50%, liquid paraffin 20%. Contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate.