Fenistil Cold Sore Cream is for the treatment of cold sores (herpes labialis). Used at the first signs of a cold sore developing, Fenistil can help to speed up healing and shorten the duration of pain.
Fenistil Cold Sore Cream is for the treatment of cold sores (herpes labialis). A cold sore is caused by a viral infection. The virus can remain inactive for extended periods of time, but when triggered the virus multiplies and a cold sore develops. This can occur, for example when you are run-down, when you have a cold or flu, or when you have been out in strong sunlight. The virus causes painful blistering of the lips.
How does it work?
Fenistil Cold Sore Cream contains the active ingredient, Penciclovir, which is an antiviral medicine which stops the virus multiplying. Fenistil Cream will speed up healing and shorten the duration of pain.
How to use Fenistil Cold Sore Cream:
- Adults and children aged 12 years and over: Wash your hands and apply cream, to the affected area.
- Apply cream at approximately 2 hourly intervals throughout the day (approximately 8 times a day) for 4 days.
Precautions to consider before the use of Fenistil Cold Sore Cream:
Fenistil Cold Sore Cream should not be used:
- If you know you are allergic to penciclovir, famciclovir or any other ingredient in the cream.
- If you have previously used Fenistil Cold Sore Cream and become unwell Inside your mouth, in or near your eyes, or on your genitals.
Side Effects to consider before the use of Fenistil Sore Cream:
- Most people who use Fenistil Cold Sore Cream find it causes them no problems. However, mild side effects can occasionally occur in some people. Some people may get burning, stinging, or numbness when the cream is applied. The effects will usually go away quickly.
- Some people have also reported allergic-type reactions such as allergic dermatitis, rash, hives, itching and swelling.