Syndol Headache Relief Tablets - For immediate relief from mild to moderate pain. This medicine should not be taken for more than 3 days. If symptoms persist, please see your doctor.
Syndol Headache Relief Tablets are used for the treatment of mild to moderate pain and as an antipyretic. Syndol Headache Relief Tablets are recommended for the symptomatic relief of headache, including muscle contraction or tension headache, migraine, neuralgia, toothache, sore throat, dysmenorrhoea, muscular and rheumatic aches and pains and for post-operative analgesia following surgical or dental procedures. Syndol contains strong painkilling ingredients to lessen the symptoms of the common cold.
The Three active ingredients include:
Codeine: A strong painkiller known as an opioid. Codeine works by mimicking actions of pain-reducing chemicals called endorphins found in the brain and spinal cord blocking the transmission of pain signals.
Paracetamol: A painkilling medicine though to work by reducing the production of prostaglandins in the brain and spinal cord therefore reducing pain.
Caffeine: A weak stimulant claimed to enhance the effects of paracetamol and codeine.
How do I take Syndol Caplets:
- For oral administration. Adults and children over 12 years: 1 or 2 tablets every four to six hours as needed for relief.
- Total dosage over a 24 hour period should not normally exceed 8 tablets.
- Do not take for more than three days continuously without medical review.
- Codeine should be used with caution in the elderly and debilitated patients, as they may be more susceptible to the respiratory depressant effects.
Caution before taking Syndol Caplets:
Do not exceed the stated dose. Do not take concurrently with any other paracetamol or codeine containing compounds. Keep out of the reach of children. Care is advised in the administration of this preparation to patients with impaired kidney or liver function and in those with hypertension, hypothyroidism, adrenocortical insufficiency, prostatic hypertrophy, shock, obstructive bowel disorders, acute abdominal conditions, recent gastrointestinal surgery, gallstones, myasthenia gravis, a history of cardiac arrhythmias or convulsions and in patients with a history of drug abuse or emotional instability.
Codeine may induce faecal impaction, producing incontinence, spurious diarrhoea, abdominal pain and rarely colonic obstruction. Elderly patients may metabolise or eliminate opioid analgesics more slowly than younger adults.
The leaflet will state in a prominent position in the before taking section:
If you need to use this medicine for more than three days at a time, see your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional. Taking codeine regularly for a long time can lead to addiction, which might cause you to feel restless and irritable when you stop taking the tablets. Taking a painkiller for headaches too often or for too long can make them worse.
If you need to use this medicine for more than three days at a time, see your doctor or pharmacist. Taking codeine regularly for a long time can lead to addiction. Taking a painkiller for headaches too often or for too long can make them worse.
Possible side effects whilst taking Syndol Caplets:
- Doxylamine succinate may cause drowsiness or dizziness in some patients.
- Adverse effects of paracetamol are rare but hypersensitivity including skin rash may occur.
- There have been a few reports of blood dyscrasias including thrombocytopenia and agranulocytosis but these were not necessarily causally related to paracetamol.
- The most frequent undesirable effects of codeine are constipation and drowsiness.
- Less frequent effects are nausea, vomiting, sweating, facial flushing, dry mouth, blurred or double vision, dizziness, orthostatic hypotension, malaise, tiredness, headache, anorexia, vertigo, bradycardia, palpitations, respiratory depression, dyspnoea, allergic reactions (itch, skin rash, facial oedema) and difficulties in micturition (dysuria, increased frequency, decrease in amount).
- Side effects that occur rarely include convulsions, hallucinations, nightmares, uncontrolled muscle movements, muscle rigidity, mental depression and stomach cramps.
- Regular prolonged use of codeine is known to lead to addiction and symptoms of restlessness and irritability may result when treatment is stopped. Prolonged use of a painkiller for headaches can make them worse.
Syndol Caplets contain:
Paracetamol BP 450.0mg, Codeine Phosphate BP 10.0mg, Caffeine BP 30.0mg.